Thursday, August 23, 2012

Paranorman and Ghost Movies

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-paranormal-movies-20120816,0,7450287.story



"Paranorman" and other recent movies like "The Awakening" and "The Apparition" are blowing up the theatres now. Apparently ghost related movies are being in right now in August. Everyone is getting thrilled to the fact that ghost movies are coming out in August, 2 months before October. But not all these people really truly realized the meaning/s of these movies. "Paranorman" isn't all about a boy who could see ghost and zombies and talk to them. It's also about a boy who doesn't fit in because he's different. People just look at it in the perspective that it's a ghost movie because people like the thrill of getting scared. They enjoy the chills, the suspense, the heart racing moments.
This caught my eye because I love Paranorman.I went to see the movies and I thought it was really funny but at the same time it made me sad because I got the concept that he didn't fit in at school and that his parents were always so mean to him. I could somewhat relate to it, I guess that's why I chose to write about this.
This article impacts me as a student because I want to know
what's going on in the theatres because I might want to go out and watch a scary movie one of these days. This impacts me as a future filmmaker because I want to know what attracts my audience, if I want to make a horror film I need to know what they want to see, what will keep them coming. 
Questions I have are does releasing horror movies in August attract the audience more than releasing them in October? Why don't they just wait until October? It might sell more that way. Does it even matter when they release it, does that even affect the sales? People probably don't even think outside the box and just want to watch the movie anyways.

7 comments:

  1. This was very interesting because it is true that many people only watch scary movies for the thrill or the scare, and so they do not focus on the deeper and hidden meaning. Yet, it is a scary movie and so that is only to be expected. I also have the same questions....why don't they wait until October to release these scary movies? I think it might have to do with the fact that many will probably think along this line, and so they will all release their movies in October and that would mean more competition. Either way, mostly everyone enjoys a good scary movie no matter the month, so in that way, those types of movies won't lose much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They probably released this movie in August instead of October for the reason that it wasn't just about the ghosts and the thrill of them, but about a kid who didn't fit in. I agree with Alexa that everyone enjoys a scary movie no matter the month. Being the only scary movie out would increase sales considering there would be no other scary movie competition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. Many people just want to see horror films just for the thrill of it. I don't know why they are releasing horror films in august but I do enjoy watching scary movies, I think everyone does(:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think more people just liked the creepy concept, it eluded people from the main theme of the film. I think it's a benefit just as a consumer, I'm a fan of horror movies so it's nice to see more out now then having to wait a couple more months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! Many people love watching horror films just for the thrill. I, myself enjoy watching scary movies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe they're showing horror movies in August because showing them on October would be too expected. Besides, horror films still do blow up in October. Films do not want to be competing with say, 4 horror films, all at the same time. Personally, I haven't seen ParaNorman, but I really want to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let's take Paranormal Activity for example. Even though it had a very old repeated story line, it did what it was intended to do. Scare people. People like being scared. Admit it, you were at least a little frightened. There are rumors that even Spielberg was scared.

    ReplyDelete